As a result of the prevailing economic situation of Nigeria, a lot of Nigerians mostly children have become malnourished due to their inability to consume the appropriate food needed to supply essential nutrient like protein. The above consequently led man to look out for alternative source of cheaper animal protein and the search has led to the rearing and management of edible snails.
Heliculture (snail farming) is another interesting, thriving and profitable business venture that anybody can venture into with the aim of making money. As a matter of fact, snail farming requires low start -up capital and anyone who is serious about business can generate good income from the business. Snail farmers are certain to hit it big because many people are shunning away from red meat.
You can start small from your backyard and grow from there. Due to its high nutritional value, snails have become a very popular delicacy. Snail meat is very rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, vitamin E as well as vitamin C.
Snail meat is very good for weight loss because they are extremely low in calories and fat. Snail meat is also very beneficial to people suffering from cardiovascular disease, cancer and people trying to recover from an injury.
If you are looking towards leveraging on the livestock industry to generate income, then one of your best bet is to start your own snail farming business. Snail farming business is all about mass breeding of snails for the sole aim of making profits. One thing is certain about Heliculture, if you are able to conduct your market research and feasibility studies, you are more likely not going to struggle to sell your snails because there are loads of people out there that eat snails.
Over and above, Heliculture is indeed a profitable and thriving livestock breeding business that an entrepreneur who is interested in farming should consider going into.
Factors to be considered in starting Heliculture Enterprise
- Snail Farming Environment: Snails are easily dehydrated, and wind increase the rate of moisture loose in snail which in turn, leads to the dryness of the animal. To prevent snails from losing water so quickly, your snaileries (the snail house) must be located in environment that is protected from wind.
- Type of Soil for Snail Farming: Snail’s major habitat is the soil, and soil contains some of the components and chemical substances that it needed to survive. However, not all soils are suitable for snail rearing. Hence, the suitable soil for snail farming must contain these elements. Must be balanced, not waterlogged, not too dry, and must not be acidic.
- Getting the Snails for Farming (Foundation Stock): To start up a snail farm, it is advisable to get foundation stock from reputable farms instead of buying from the market after they have been exposed to sunlight and have dehydrated.
- The Snail House (Snailery): A good snailery keeps the snails safe and productive Depending on the size of your proposed Snailery, it can vary from a box, patch of fence-protected ground, sheltered from the wind to a covered box if you are breeding in small scale.
- Snail Foods and Feeding: Snails need carbohydrates for energy, and protein for growth. In addition they require calcium (Ca) for their shells, as well as other minerals and vitamins. Snails mainly feeds on green leaves and fruits though they can utilize other ranges of foods. Feed your snails leaves, fruits, or even formulate from the feed mill. Always remember that the performance of your snails depends solely on the type of feeds they are fed with. So feed your snails well for better growth and increased returns.
- Predators and Ant control: Snails have many natural predators, which include lizard, rats, rodents, snake, etc.
The methods employed in the management of snail is very simple and can be easily practiced by anyone and the only thing the snail may demand is care. They rarely fall sick and you also don’t need to spend much to build snailery. Snails reproduce rapidly and it’s not an overstatement to say that you can get hundred percent returns on investment. In general it can be said that snail management is very easy and can be practiced by anyone.
MAXIPHARO CONCEPTS is committed to assist you by providing complete integrated business consulting services.
Precisely, MAXIPHARO CONCEPTS undertakes to:
- Help you personally build your own snail farming unit.
- Provide you with know-how for the proper and smooth management of the snail farming unit.
- Offer specialized consulting services and feasibility studies.
- Also offers marketing services.
CONTACT: Farotimi Olaoluwa
Tel no: 08158105137